I’m sitting around having brekky, reading my way steadily through Alan Sloman’s wonderful LeJog Blog and thinking about kit. Reading about a poor accommodation guide that Alan enountered reminded me of my own experience of the appalling Pennine Way accommodation guide, and I nipped over to my PW pages to re-read about it. There I noticed a link to a page setting out the kit I carried on the walk, including a photo I took of all of it at the YH in Keld. See here for the grizzly details…
When I set off on the PW in August 2004 I’d never previously carried a tent along a long walk. I’d done the Coast to Coast walk a couple of times, but I’d used B&B. I spent about 3 weeks asking frenzied questions on uk.rec.walking first, and then I set off. I was so disorganised that I only learned that my rucksack wouldn’t hold what I needed to take at 4am of the morning I was supposed to start, and so I had to go back to bed, buy a new rucksack later in the day and start a day later instead *g* Happy days!
Anyway, looking at that picture reminds me of the very significant changes I’ve made since then, and the extent to which they’ve made my backpacking life very much easier. In fact, and looking at it again, I think the only things I took then that I’m still carrying are (i) my Primus Micron stove, (ii) my MSR titanium kettly thing, (iii) my Silva compass, (iv) my Garmink Geko 201 GPS and (v) my Ortlieb mapcase.
The most significant changes involved:
- a newer, smaller, lighter sleeping bag;
- a lighter and more comfortable rucksack;
- revising my washkit to fit in the smallest Exped stuffsack;
- MP3 players have got smaller;
- I don’t now carry 4 books at a time;
- I’d probably take Anquet print-outs rather than maps;
- I don’t currently carry a flask (though sometimes I miss it, and in winter I still might);
- I don’t carry sandals now (thought I do keep thinking about it);
- smaller, lighter and infinitely more comfortable sleeping mat, and
- a different range of clothing.
I plan to write a new kit page for my website soon — the existing one needs to be revised. There are few things more fun than thinking about backpacking kit 🙂
Heh… a quick dash across to I can Has Cheezburger? produced this.